The former "Hutberg" opencast mine
Last mines of Rumelange
Located on the other slope of Langengrund valley just opposite of the museum, Hutberg was the last operating mine in Rumelange until 1978. It used the most modern techniques and machinery of the time.
The scars left by this large-scale operation are slowly reclaimed by the natural vegetation. A path has been laid out on the mine's benches to enable walkers to see the gradual rehabilitation of an abandoned mine site.
The Intermoselle quarry
The Intermoselle works have been established in 1973 in Rumelange to produce clinker, a preliminary product of cement. They own a quarry for the extraction of limestone layers located above the iron ore.
The quarry is situated on French soil about 1,6km from the museum and linked to the factory by a band conveyor. It is well-known for the fossils that have been found on site. The operations are not open to the general public, but can be easily seen from the road leading past the site.
The “Léiwfrächen” miners’ memorial in Kayl
The site of the "Léiwfrächen"
The "Léiwfrächen" miners' memorial was built to keep the memory of the miners who lost their lives during their hard labor. Its cast iron panels carry the names of the 1475 accident victims known, when they were erected in 1957.
The monument also includes a lookout from which the entire southern part of Luxembourg up to the capital can be seen. Next to the monument, a small grotto is the site of a local Marian worship tradition.
The Municipal Park in Rumelange
The public park
This park was created during the Great Depression of 1929 as a part of public relief works and occupies the site of an abandoned opencast mine.
Apart from a series of sports infrastructures it houses a monumental statue of the miner and politician Jean-Pierre Bausch by Albert Hames. The preparatory plaster of this statue can be seen in the Mining Museum.
The historic walks
Historic walking paths
The town council of Rumelange has laid out two walking trails and one didactic trail about the history of the town. A second historical trail is in preparation.
For further information, see: City of Rumelange brochure