The underground tunnels
Tunnels and Galleries
The National Mining Museum uses tunnels that belonged to the "Kirchberg", "Walert" and "Langengrund" mines, which were all interconnected. The mine train travels on a circuit through the main tunnels dug between the 1880s and the 1920s. In addition, the visitor can walk through side tunnels from the 1910s to the 1950s during the guided tour.
Tools and machinery
Tools and machinery from several Luxembourg and Lorraine (F) mines are shown in situ in the side tunnels reconverted into a museum. They span the entire period of mining in the region, from the
beginnings in about 1870 to the closure of the last Lorraine (F) mine in 1997.
The reception building is located in the former engine shed of Walert mine built about 1900.
It now houses the museum's reception area, the main exhibition, a small shop and a multipurpose room used for temporary exhibitions.
The "Brasserie du Musée"
The building that now houses the restaurant "Brasserie du Musée" was built before 1900 as offices for the John Cockerill Company.
The restaurant offers a selection of Luxembourg and French cuisine as well as its specialty, the "the miner's lunch box" (gamelle du mineur).
This 1908 -built engine shed also housed the forge and some lodgings and belonged to the Rembour mine.
It is now used by the museum's administration and archives as well as a workshop for the two visitor trains.
The Gonner office
The Gonner office is a former office for the operations of the local mine owner Nicolas Gonner and was later used for workers' housing.
The museum plans to use it for the future part of the exhibition on the miners' social life.
Metz powder magazine
The Metz powder magazine dates back from the beginning of the 20th century.
It is the only one of the museum's three powder magazines to be located above ground. It is scheduled to be restored shortly.
The loading ramp
The loading ramp was used to transship the ore form the mine cars to the freight cars of the standard gauge railway, and the wood for the pit props in the reverse direction. It is no longer operational as the track has been removed and part of it now serves as the museum's car park.
Open pit operations
Opend pit remnands
Several rock faces of former opencast mines from the 1930s to the 1950s are still to be seen on the museum site.
They offer an informative insight into the different ore layers and the depth of the ore body.