The mines of the National Mining Museum
The MNM's site was used by 4 former mines:
The Walert concession was granted in 1898 to the ironworks of Rodange, which were taken over first by the Belgian group Ougrée-Marihaye, then by MMR. The mine was electrified in 1925. On February 12th 1935, the miner, Member of Parliament and former mayor of Rumelange Jean-Pierre Bausch was killed in an accident inside the mine. As mechanization was impossible due to the geological conditions, the mine closed in 1963.
Kirchberg concession was an early mine in activity from the 1880s to the 1930s. It belonged to the Belgian group S.A. John Cockerill. The main tunnel was used as the access to the neighboringWalert mine.
Langengrund concession, a very modern mine, was part of a large cross-border group of mines exploited by the steelworks of Differdange. It was in activity from the 1900s to the 1970s.
The Rembour and Vor Hasselt opencast mines were small-scale operations open from the 1870s to the 1950s. They belonged to several mine owners: Gonner, Berens, ARBED.